Friday 28 December 2012

Penang Bike Week - 23rd June, 2012

Since this event was on home ground and I was free that Saturday, I rode to the Penang Pesta grounds in the morning where the bikers were gathered before the ride to Kepala Batas on the mainland. I wanted very much to join in such an organised convoy ride as it is always fun and a great thrill to be able to ride non-stop through all traffic lights and junctions with engines and machines purring in front, back and side of you. And wayside people looking on - many, I would think, in awe or envy.
But the fun was shortlived for me. After about 3 km from the Pesta grounds towards the Pg bridge, the dark heavy clouds that had been hovering above the whole morning, suddenly broke with a roar and let down a heavy downpour. I decided to ride another day. The first part of the ride took me past Queensbay and the Gold Coast Condo where my son lives. So I conveniently steered off from the convoy and turned into the dry haven of the sheltered car park before getting myself drenched. You may call me "Chicken!" but my motto is "Live to Ride Another Day".
But one rider at the assembly before the ride caught my attention and admiration. Her name is Azliena and she is a slim lady, perhaps as tall or taller than I, riding a Kawasaki GTR 1400 with 2 saddle bags. Her machine's dry weight is 300 kg, compared to my Yamaha FZ1 (1,000 cc)'s dry weight of 220 kg. Azliena also said that she has ridden to the "Golden Triangle" and beyond (which is China).
I'll show you some pics:

Police outriders and marshalls

Bomba outriders

Some of the riders getting ready for the "Go!"

Azliena (middle) and her lady friend riding the Honda ST1300 (dry weight 191 kg)




No comments:

Post a Comment